Major security glitches led the massive #PulwamaTerrorAttack
NP NEWS 24 ONLINE: TANUSHREE PODDAR : The entire nation is in mourning after the horrific terror attack in Pulwama, Jammu and Kashmir on 14 February after a Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist drove his Scropio rigged with 350 kilos of explosives towards a convoy of over 2,500 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel, who were returning from leave. The Scorpio rammed into one of the buses, killing 44 of the jawans.
Since then, social media flooded with posts expressing shock, grief, condolences and anger. All the top five hashtags were related to the attacks. While the anger and frustration is justified, some used the platform to call for vengeance the #BadlaKab and #PulwamaRevenge asking the Modi government to “flush out Kashmiris who are Pak supporters” and said Kashmir needs a “killing touch.”
Condemning the attack, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had said those behind the terrorist attack in Pulwama will have to pay a “heavy price”. “The terrorists…they have made a big mistake. You will have to pay a very heavy price. I assure everyone that the forces behind the attack…we will bring them to justice.” He also announced that the further action will be taken by the Indian Army.
But the question is where did things fallout in Pulwama?
The Srinagar-Jammu highway is the most heavily guarded highways in the entire country. How did the terrorist, identified as Adil Ahmad Dar, who lived just 10 km from the spot get access to about 350 kg of explosives right under the nose of J&K police and military? And later, how could he carry out what turned out to be the worst-ever terror attack on security forces in the state?
Jaish had warned of attacks on security force on their website where they put up a video of a similar car loaded with explosives and ramming a truck full of soldiers. Did we fail to take the intelligence? Were the Standard Operating Procedure violated?
When after every visible distance security forces are available, then how did they miss the Scorpio? How did they miss out on checking 350kgs of explosive? How did they allow civilian’s vehicle pass, when the convoy was passing?
The Kashmir Police on February 8, had sent an intelligence input to the CRPF, BSF, ITBP, SSB, Army and the Air Force warning of a possible IED attack, according to a letter written by the state police Inspector General. Headlined “extremely urgent”, the intelligence input, sent on behalf of the Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, asked all security agencies to “sanitize areas properly before occupying your place or deployment as there are inputs that IEDs could be used.”
CRPF allowed its 78-vehicle convoy carrying 2,547 security personnel to go from the transit camp in Jammu to Srinagar a 270-km stretch. Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik admitted that security forces failed to act on intelligence inputs. “There was no intelligence failure because we had received inputs. But there was surely some kind of negligence. If the terrorists could bring such a big vehicle without being checked, it had to be because of failure on our part.”
According to the latest update, CRPF officials have stated that the attack was not possible without an involvement of civilians.
The 22-year-old suicide bomber, Adil was a school dropout from Gundibagh village in Pulwama, joined the Pakistan-based terror group led by Masood Azhar, last year. Soon after the massive attack, his video and photo went viral where he said “My name is Adil, I joined the Jaish-e-Mohammad a year ago. After a year’s wait, I have got the chance to do what I joined the Jaish for. By the time this video reaches you, I will be in heaven. This is my last message for