Durga Puja 2020 : CM Mamata Banerjee Issues Guidelines, Cancels All Cultural Programs
Kolkata : West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has issued guidelines for Durga Puja festival on Thursday in view of the Corona epidemic. During this, she requested all the Durga Puja organizers to keep the pandal open for proper ventilation in view of the Covid19. The Chief Minister has also canceled the grand Durga Puja Carnival and all cultural events before the upcoming Navratri in view of the Coronavirus epidemic.
Announcing the security protocol, Banerjee said that the puja committee will have to sanitize all those who visit the pandals, as well as provide masks to those who are not wearing it. She said that it is mandatory for all the people coming to the pandal to wear a face mask.
The Chief Minister announced that “Durga Puja Carnival will not be held this year. Cultural events are also not allowed inside the pandals in this year’s festival.”
Mamta Banerjee further announced that Durga Puja committees would get Rs 50,000 each as a grant from the state government and 80,000 hawkers would get a lump sum grant of Rs 2000 before the puja. Durga Puja is one of the biggest festivals celebrated in West Bengal and the week-long festivities in the state will start from October 22.
Guidelines issued by the government –
– No cultural programs are allowed during Durga Puja this year.
– Face masks are mandatory for all visiting Durga Puja pandals. Hand sanitizers should be available at all entry and exit points.
– Organizers must hire more volunteers to maintain the COVID-19 security protocol. Volunteers must wear a face shield.
– Keep enough slots for ‘Anjali’ and ‘Sindoor Khela’ rituals.
– The mantras should be announced on the mic so that people can hear it even from a distance.
– During immersion, pooja pandals will be given slots to avoid the gathering. Single window permission for Durga Puja will start from October 2.
– Firefighters will not charge any fee, Kolkata Municipal Corporation fees (KMC) will not charge any fee, CESC (electricity) fees are 50 percent free for Durga Puja pandals.
– Every pandal should have a public announcement system. Showcase Durga Puja on the big screen and announce the award on the virtual stage.